Does the pace of this video seem a bit too familiar? We’ve been moving through Rome at warp speed. Tomorrow we’ll be talking more about life in the Roman Republic and looking at some important figures including Cato, Polybius, Tiberius, Gaius Gracchus and Sulla. Please read chapters 31-32 in Fox.
Also, please bring some of your research materials for the ISU and the Facebook project tomorrow. We will be dedicating part of the day to working on these assignments at the Reference Library.
Here is a video of Plato’s Cave and the questions we grappled with this afternoon.:
- What ‘shackles’ people in our society?
- How is Plato suggesting that we free our minds?
- Who are the people who are holding up the objects that cast shadows? What do the shadows represent?
- How can knowledge transform our reality?
- Are students free or are we compelled?
- Is it significant that the ascent from the cave slow & gradual?
- Can a person who has been outside the cave remain there knowing that others are still shackled inside the cave?
- What does the sun represent?
Great day today – you are all budding philosophers. I appreciated everyone’s insights into Plato’s Cave and its contemporary relevance. Here’s a bit of wisdom from Keanu again…this time not as Neo but in his greatest role of all time, Bill in Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure. If you had a time machine, which philosopher would you want to talk to?